Macaron as a dessert is so luxurious and unique, you’ll be tempted to finish them all in one sitting. But what happens if you can’t? Or you’d rather save them for later? You’d want to know how to store them properly so that the soft and delicate texture is perfectly preserved when the cravings hit.
Macarons can be stored in various ways to keep them tasting fresh, wonderfully crisp on the outside and soft on the inside. For further information on how to store your macarons, see our tips and tricks listed below.
What are Macarons?
The macaron is a French dessert produced from various ingredients such as egg white, powdered almond or almond flour, sugar, and frosting. While macarons are French in origin, their name comes from the Italian word macarone, which means "meringue" in English.
A filling is usually sandwiched between two macarons. Frostings, fruit jams, chocolate fondue, and cream cheese are some of the commonly utilized fillings.
This delectable delight is a little on the moist side. At least, from the inside. On the outside, biting into it is a dream because it’s crisp, and there’s a little surprise when your taste buds reach the filling. Plus, they’re so aesthetically pleasing to the eye, so It's no surprise that macarons are one of the most popular treats, given their vibrant appearance and delectable flavour.
How To Store Macarons?
There are several effective methods for storing macarons and preserving their freshness. We'll take a quick look at some of the best things you can do in this section.
Storing Freshly Baked Macarons
Freshly baked macarons can be safely stored at room temperature for up to 24 hours and will remain fresh and crisp if stored properly.
- Allow the macaron shells to cool after removing them from the oven. This is a crucial step in ensuring that they do not crack and remain crisp. Keep in mind that these shells are delicate, so filling them sooner than necessary may result in shattering.
- Fill the shells with your preferred filling. Some of the most popular ones include cream cheese, fruit jams, and fondue.
- The macarons should be stored in an airtight container. Ensure the lid is securely fastened so no air gets inside. If not, the macarons will become mushy and dry.
- Store it in the pantry if you plan to eat the macarons within the day. If you aren't ready yet, store them in the fridge for later.
Storing Macarons in the Refrigerator
If properly stored, home-baked macarons can stay crisp and delicious for up to 3 days in the refrigerator.
They can be stored either as empty shells or filled shells in the fridge, but keep in mind how long your filling can be safely stored. For instance, those with cream cheese or fresh fruits may not last as long as the others.
- Fill a jar with macarons and close it tightly. A plastic or glass container is preferable. It is not advisable to store the macarons in a plastic bag because the shells are sharp and delicate. It will quickly break if it comes into contact with anything heavy.
- Macarons should be refrigerated within three days of being made. If you plan on storing them for an extended period of time, keep them in the freezer.
- It's also crucial to place macarons in the refrigerator correctly. Keep them away from the fridge’s door to provide a more stable temperature.
Storing Macarons in the Freezer
Freezing macarons allows you to keep them for longer periods without losing their texture or flavor.
Macarons can be frozen either as empty shells or once they've been filled. If you've mastered the skill of preparing macarons, freezing them ensures you always have a delectable ready-to-eat treat or present!
- Store in an airtight container stacked side by side in the freezer for 3-4 weeks for the best quality.
- Remove them from the freezer a few days before you need to use them, and place them in the refrigerator to thaw. This allows the macarons to cool down without causing condensation gradually.
- Remove them from the refrigerator 15-30 minutes before serving to allow them to come to room temperature.
Macaron Storage Alternatives
Aside from keeping the macarons in a plastic or glass container, you might want to consider the following options:
Storing in a box
This should not be any ordinary box. When placed in the fridge or freezer, the box must be sturdy and not crumpled. High-end macaron stores, in particular, will supply packaging in the form of a rigid gift box, which is great for storing.
If you only plan to keep macarons on the counter for a day, a clear plastic bag would work. You can also put it in the fridge, but make sure it's in a secure location. Otherwise, there's a chance the shells will shatter.
Knowing how to store macarons is only the beginning. There are a few more factors to consider, such as how to bake them properly and how long they are expected to last. Remember these key points when ordering your favourite macarons or making them yourself.
If you keep macarons in a box or container at room temperature, it will most likely last for one or two days. When exposed to moisture, the macarons are more prone to rotting and becoming mushy. You can store them in the fridge for up to three days. Meanwhile, you can keep them in the freezer for up to six months.
If you're going to store it in a plastic or glass container, make sure it's clean and dry. If there is water, moisture will be present, and the shell will get softer after a few days. Try to dry the container properly with a paper towel. If you wish to chill the macarons in a freezer, avoid using glass. Glass inside the freezer can shatter at severe temperatures.
This is especially true if the macaron is kept frozen. Do not consume it immediately after it has been removed from the oven either. Wait for 30 to 60 minutes before consuming them. It will not taste as good if it is served too cold or too hot.
When storing store-bought macarons, following the manufacturer's instructions is essential. They may employ a variety of baking processes and ingredients, making storage instructions vary. Some items may spoil faster than others.
Macarons are delicate and should be consumed as soon as possible. If you don't have an option to store them for later use, you should know how to keep macarons properly.
Buy macarons online and enjoy these delicious treats. The Macaron Company offers a variety of delectable flavours that you’ll surely love. It’s the perfect gift for the holiday season - to “spread happiness one macaron at a time.”